Family Lawyers Mackay
74 Victoria St Mackay QLD 4740
Mon-Fri: 8.30am to 5pm

Family Lawyers Mackay Blog

Home/Family Lawyers Mackay Blog
Discover more
Navigating Child Support When Parents and Children Live Outside Australia
14 Sep 2023

What happens to child support when the parents and child are outside Australia?

By Family Lawyers Mackay, 14 Sep 2023
Child Support

Child support is a vital aspect of ensuring the well-being of children in separated or divorced families. When parents and children are located outside Australia, navigating the complexities of child support can be challenging. This comprehensive guide will provide you with detailed insights into various scenarios related to child support in such situations. From applying for child support to understanding the intricacies of payment arrangements, we’ve got you covered.

Applying for Child Support

Applying When the Other Parent Is Outside Australia

When the other parent resides outside Australia, seeking child support requires a specific set of steps and considerations. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Gather Necessary Documentation:
Before you begin your application, you must gather the necessary documents, such as birth certificates, court documents and the contact details for the non-resident parent.

2. Contact the Appropriate Authority:
Reach out to the relevant child support authority in Australia. They will guide you on how to proceed with the application, even if the other parent is located abroad.

3. Establish Paternity:
If paternity has not been legally established, you may need to do so to claim child support. This process can vary depending on the country where the other parent resides.

4. Seek Legal Assistance:
Navigating international child support can be legally complex. Consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in family law to ensure you follow all necessary legal procedures.

Applying When You Live Outside Australia

If you are a custodial parent living outside Australia, you still have options for seeking child support from the non-residential parent. Here’s how:

1. Determine Jurisdiction:
Identify the jurisdiction where the other parent resides. This will determine the appropriate authority to contact for child support enforcement.

2. Contact Your Local Authority:
Contact your country’s child support agency or authority to initiate the process. They can help you communicate with the Australian authorities and facilitate support payments.

3. Consider a Reciprocal Agreement:
Some countries have reciprocal child support agreements with Australia. These agreements streamline the process of enforcing support orders across borders. Check if your country has such an arrangement in place.


By consulting one of our accredited family law mackay specialists.

If You’re a Receiving Parent

As the parent receiving child support, you have certain rights and responsibilities to ensure your child’s financial well-being. Here’s what you should know:

A. Understanding Your Entitlement:
Familiarize yourself with the child support guidelines in your jurisdiction, which typically outline the amount of support you’re entitled to based on factors like income and custody arrangements.

B. Maintaining Communication:
Maintain open and respectful communication with the other parent. Cooperation can make the child support process smoother for both parties.

C. Monitor Payments:
Keep a record of all child support payments received, including dates and amounts. This documentation can be crucial in case of disputes or discrepancies.

If You’re a Non-Parent Carer

In some cases, non-parent caregivers may be eligible to receive child support on behalf of the child. Here’s what you need to know:

I. Legal Custody:

Ensure you have legal custody or guardianship of the child. Child support is typically directed to the custodial caregiver.

II. Proof of Support:

You may need to provide evidence of the financial support you provide for the child to qualify for child support payments from the non-residential parent.

If You’re a Paying Parent

If you’re the non-residential parent responsible for making child support payments, it’s essential to understand your obligations:

  • Complying with Court Orders:
    Adhere to any court-ordered child support arrangements. Failure to do so can lead to legal consequences.
  • Updating Information:
    Keep the child support agency informed of any changes in your financial situation or contact details. This ensures that support payments are accurate and up-to-date.
  • Seek Mediation:
    If you’re facing financial difficulties that make it challenging to meet your child support obligations, consider seeking mediation to modify the support arrangement based on your circumstances.

If You Don’t Live in a Reciprocating Jurisdiction

Living in a country without a reciprocal child support agreement with Australia can complicate the enforcement of child support. In such cases:

a. Seek Legal Advice:

Consult with a family law attorney experienced in international child support matters. They can guide you on the best course of action and help you navigate the legal complexities.

b. Explore Bilateral Agreements:

Some countries may have bilateral agreements with Australia that facilitate child support enforcement. Investigate whether such an agreement exists in your situation.


By consulting one of our accredited family law mackay specialists.

Applying When Both Parents Live in Australia

When both parents reside in Australia, the child support process is more straightforward. However, it still requires careful consideration:

I. Determining Support Amount:

Calculate the appropriate child support amount based on your respective incomes and custody arrangements. Online calculators provided by child support agencies can be helpful.

II. Private Agreement vs. Government Assessment:

You can choose to enter into a private child support agreement or have the government assess and manage the support payments. Consider the pros and cons of each option before deciding.

Paying and Receiving Child Support

The process of paying and receiving child support can vary based on your specific circumstances:

Getting Payments from a Parent Outside Australia

Getting Payments from a Parent Outside Australia If you’re the receiving parent, and the other parent resides outside Australia, consider the following:

  • International Payment Options: Explore secure and efficient international payment methods to receive child support.
  • Currency Exchange Considerations: Be aware of currency conversion rates and any associated fees when receiving payments in a foreign currency.

Getting Payments if You Live Outside Australia

As a parent living abroad but entitled to child support from an Australian resident, here’s what you should know:

  • Currency Conversion: Understand how currency exchange rates may affect the value of child support payments.
  • International Banking: Consider using international banking services for smoother and cost-effective fund transfers.

Making Payments to a Parent in Australia

If you’re the paying parent and the recipient resides in Australia:

  • Payment Methods: Work with the child support agency to determine the most convenient and secure payment methods.
  • Timely Payments: Ensure you make payments promptly according to the agreed schedule to avoid legal issues.

Making Payments to a Parent Outside Australia

When your child support obligation extends beyond Australia’s borders:

  • International Payment Services: Explore reliable international payment services to make secure and timely payments.
  • Legal Compliance: Familiarize yourself with any legal requirements or documentation needed for international child support payments.

Paying and Receiving Child Support if You Live in New Zealand

For residents of New Zealand dealing with child support matters involving Australia:

  • Trans-Tasman Agreement: New Zealand has a Trans-Tasman agreement with Australia that simplifies child support arrangements between the two countries. Familiarize yourself with the details of this agreement for a smoother process.
  • Contact Local Authorities: Reach out to your local child support agency for guidance on initiating or managing child support involving an Australian parent or caregiver.


Understanding what happens to child support when the parents and child are outside Australia is essential for ensuring the well-being of the child. Navigating international child support can be complex, but with the right legal assistance and cooperation between parents, it is possible to provide the support and care that the child deserves, regardless of geographical boundaries.

Remember that international agreements and legal resources are available to help you through this process. By staying informed and seeking assistance when needed, you can ensure that your child’s future is secure, no matter where in the world they may be.

You may wish to seek advice from an expert family lawyer regarding child support, especially child support from a parent who lives overseas. Our team at Family Lawyers Mackay have experience handling both domestic and international family law issues around divorce, child support and spouse support payments. Please get in touch with our team to see how we can assist.


By consulting one of our accredited family law mackay specialists.

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) 

Q. Does the Parent Need to Pay Child Support Overseas?

A: Yes, if a parent has a legal obligation to pay child support in their home country and the child resides overseas, they are generally still obligated to make child support payments. International child support agreements and treaties often facilitate the enforcement of these obligations across borders.

Q. What if the Parent Does Not Live in a Reciprocal Jurisdiction?

A: If a parent does not live in a jurisdiction with a reciprocal child support agreement with the country where the child resides, enforcement can be more challenging. In such cases, it may still be possible to seek legal remedies through international channels, but it may require more effort and legal assistance.

Q. How Can a Parent Enforce A Child Support Assessment Overseas?

A: Enforcing a child support assessment overseas involves navigating international legal processes. Typically, it begins by contacting the relevant child support agency in your country and seeking assistance. They can help you initiate proceedings in the foreign jurisdiction to enforce the assessment. Legal experts in international child support matters can provide valuable guidance.

Q. What if the Parent Living Overseas is After Child Support Payments?

A: If a parent living overseas is attempting to evade child support payments, it’s essential to take legal action. The custodial parent can work with their local child support agency or an attorney specializing in international family law to initiate proceedings in the non-resident parent’s jurisdiction. This may involve legal actions to ensure compliance.

Q. Need Assistance With Collecting Child Support from an Overseas Parent?

A: If you need assistance with collecting child support from a parent living overseas, it’s advisable to seek professional help. Consult your local child support agency or a legal expert in international child support cases. They can guide you through the necessary steps and help ensure that you receive the child support payments your child is entitled to.

Please note that the specifics of these situations can vary depending on the countries involved and their respective laws. Consulting with legal experts experienced in international child support matters is crucial for the best course of action in your particular circumstances.

Get in touch today!

We take pride in customer service and look forward to handling your matter.