Make your arrangements well ahead of time. You and your kids will enjoy making plans together. It also keeps things clear with their other parent.
Budget your time
What will you need to do to budget for your time together?
Consider the safety of travel arrangements when your children travel to see you:
- Can someone travel with them?
- Who will meet them?
- Talk to the travel service about how to help your child prepare for the trip.
When the kids arrive
- Let them settle in. Give them space of their own.
- Give them time to get to know the area.
- Be prepared for changes to your routine. Keep communication fluid.
- Be prepared for physical changes in your child, as well as new behavior, likes, and dislikes.
Have a collection of newspaper cuttings, poems, thoughts and small things in a box or book that you can look through together. Record the dates you collected each thing so your child will know that you often think about them.
Kids’ best interest in mind
Most importantly, have your children’s best interests at the top of mind at all times. This can often be a stressful and frightening time for all parties.
If you would like more information on how your kids will be affected and the possible outcomes you can expect from a family law situation, please use our free, no obligation 20-minute consultation service to discuss the details with an experienced Mackay family lawyer.
- Co-parenting time with your children – The importance of parental communication
- Love and Marriage – What happens when it all falls apart?
- Protecting Children’s Privacy
- 5 Tips For When You First Meet With Your Divorce Lawyer in Mackay
- What happens to assets such as the family home during separation and divorce?